Tuesday, September 13, 2011

DIY Carpet Freshener

I cleaned out my vacuum canister today and found enough hair to make an entire winter wardrobe if I knew how to knit. Between my long hair and my two indoor dogs it doesn't take long for my floors to start looking like wool carpeting. I used to buy carpet powder to help pick up dirt and leave a nice smell after vacuuming, but I run out of it so fast and it's really not that cheap....So, I came up with my own recipe.

What I used:
about 1 cup baby powder (I used lavender/vanilla scented powder)
about 1 cup baking soda
about 5 ml lavender fragrance oil (or whatever scent you choose)

I mixed the powders together in a mixing bowl and slowly added the fragrance oil, stirring gently. I placed the powder combo in an old carpet powder container and off I went. I sprinkled it over my carpet and let it sit for about 20 minutes, then vacuumed it up.

It all vacuumed up just fine and my house smells great!

1 comment:

  1. The baby powder added a very nice scent, but omit it if you don't have a powerful vacuum!

    ReplyDelete