Thursday, October 27, 2011

Changing Table DIY

I knew I needed a changing table, but I couldn't imagine spending more than $100 on a piece of furniture with only one use. So, I decided to make my own. I was able to snag a free nightstand-type piece from some neighbors who moved. It was the perfect height for changing diapers and had a drawer, a basket slot and a cupboard below. There were only a few things I had to add to make it into the perfect changing table. 

First I bought a plank of wood (about $5) that I could cut down into shelves. I used a handsaw to cut them into the desired size (they can also do this for you at the hardware store) and then rounded the edges with a small hand sander. I made two foot-long shelves and two 6" shelves. I painted the top of the piece, the shelves, and the drawer pulls to match.  I purchased 8 "L" brackets ($8)  because that's all they had at our mountain hardware store, and secured the shelves to the piece (making sure to leave space between the shelves for my wipey warmer to open). The brackets haven't held up like I hoped, so I'm going to change them out and go with some shelf brackets.  Live and learn.
I purchased 3 baskets from the 99 cent store and they fit perfectly in the open slot. I use two to hold diapers and one for knick-knacks (diaper cream, pacifiers, whatever). The cupboard section works great for hiding extra diapers and wipes.

It was really easy to make and was a heck-of-a-lot cheaper than store bought! I love it, and it works great!


No comments:

Post a Comment